Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day!

Well everyone, I like to refer to this as my free extra day in France. Way back before I left the US I realized that I would get to spend leap day in France, and I thought that that was pretty cool. Even cooler, I actually had a library book due today so it was stamped with Fabruary 29th. Nice.

However, I really just wanted to let you know that yesterday, the 28th of February, was the day I officially received my stipend money from the Université de Savoie. That is two months I have been at this school's location and they only just now got around to finally paying me. This caused a huge problem because I had an automated payment set up with the internet company, but because the university had never paid me that payment got rejected and consequently the bank charged me 20E and they did this a second time (so I was minus 40E) and this all happened in a matter of days during my school's vacation so I no one at the university was responding to my e-mails and I didn't fully understand what was going on because the bank was communication with me BY MAIL! (not anything efficient, the mail) And as a side note, they sent their notifications in these high-security sealed-up envelope-letters (where the envelope and letter are a single entity) and you have to fold in a million places to get the letter open, and the first one that I received took me at least 5 minutes to figure out so that I could read the letter. At one point I was actually fairly certain there was no letter to read because I was having such a difficult time finding it! But anyway back on topic. The slow French bureaucracy caused me a problem with my bank, and after the vacation I went there to talk with bank and they were really understanding and dropped all the charges. But I was still in a really bad mood. I cannot believe that my university said that I would have my stipend by the beginning of the month and it got delivered to me on the 28th of February.

On a brighter topic, I did just find out that my mom will be able to visit me AGAIN in France this semester, and she will be coming out during the April vacation period. David and I are super excited and we are in the process of planning a little excursion in addition to some hikes around the Chambéry area. This is a wonderful surprise for the two of us, and we are really looking forward to our next vacation!

Also I feel like I have finally got into a schedule with my classes this semester, and I have also really enjoyed some of my business-related classes to the point where I think I understand better what career I would like to have in the future. I really like the idea of working for a marketing research firm that is hired by a company (or situated within a large company) which studies markets to help with successful product introduction of amelioration of the company's "bottom line". Anyway, I have lots of classes more or less on that subject this semester and I find them very interesting.

Well I do not have anything else too exciting to share today, but since it is a "normal" day, I will leave you with a picture of the sunset that I took yesterday... It is just gorgeous here in Chambéry. (and PS it was about 60 degrees outside today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment