Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Another typical day in the classroom?

I meant to post this yesterday, because I thought it was so funny, but I was busy doing homework and writing my letters of appreciation to my scholarship donors and it was suddenly very late so I had to go to bed. Anyway, my very short but amusing story:

So yesterday morning Tam and I are in our 8am lecture for Géographie de la France, and I look down before the lecture had started and I see that instead of his usual computer and projector, today the teacher has brought a sort of "high-tech" traveling overhead projector. Yes ladies and gentlemen, I am referring to the old-school projectors which display individually printed overheads and pump out heat more effectively than most heaters. And he used it for the whole presentation. I just want to recall to everyone that I mentioned a month ago or so that there was an overhead projector that sits in the back of one of my classrooms, which was representative of the less frequent use of higher-level technology in France, even though it was never used. Well, now I can officially say that I had a lecture with an overhead projector. And all I really know is that if someone showed up at Miami with one, I don't even think that students could take them seriously. Not to mention I do not know where they would get there overheads printed.... oh nevermind, they probably haven't updated their lecture in years either.

So that was my story from yesterday, and I can tell you that today was quite a successful day as I got up early (even though I didn't need to because Wednesday is my day off of school) so that I could get together with Tam and work on our Geo presentation. And work we did. We still haven't actually put that much into the presentation because it takes so long to find the exact numbers, maps, charts, and correlations that support our statements or lead to an indicative comparison, but we are accumulating resources and we are making progress, three-and-a-half hours of progress, to be exact. Then after a small lunch I went and did my three hours of babysitting - the girls are wonderful and I look forward to my babysitting each week. And it will certainly be nice when I get paid... finally a little bit of pocket money!

In general I am entering a turbulent time in my academics because the semester is drawing to a close - ahhhhh I can't believe it - and therefore I have a lot of assignments due in the next few weeks, including three presentations and three exams (two of which will be given to me orally) for my business classes, and then whatever kind of test I'll have for Chinese. Definitely a lot of work ahead... but that is really the first time I can say that for the entire semester because the French school system just doesn't have a lot of homework. Though I will mention that as this semester is drawing to an end I am already starting to think about how much I am going to miss the friendships that I have made here when I go to Chambery... though part of me is excited because it will be a cute and typical French town, and I will get a perspective on a different French accent and a different French school so that I can better formulate my cultural judgments.

PS: (which technically isn't a post-script but oh well) David is accepted into his program of study abroad is is now working rapidly to do all that is necessary to come to France (such as go to Chicago and apply for a French visa) so wish him luck! And, excitingly,our host university has started preparation for our accommodation and so far it is looking quite good, like we will have a two-person studio to ourselves in Chambery; what fun!

Finally, I am looking into David and I's Christmas plans which became a little more complicated because of the changing timetables after December 11th. But hopefully everything will work out and we will get to spend some time in Italy and celebrate Christmas with family.

Even though it is only 8pm I am really tired and I will probably go to bed somewhat early. Part of me wants to get some homework done, and the other part of me just had so much fun thinking and writing in English that I don't want to go back to French just yet. I could always just sleep and break the tie.... (= Ok well, I'll keep you updated! Thanks for following along, and always thanks for your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment