Sunday, January 29, 2012

Boeuf Bourguignon

I guess I would like to bring you up to date for the last three days because I have been busy not updating my blog, unfortunately. We'll start with Thursday:

THURSDAY
I had Statistics in the morning which was extremely boring as usual, because we have yet to actually do anything besides define the terms and develop our theory of statistics... ugh. On the bright side the slower more introductory-style pace is allowing me to develop my French mathematical vocabulary, but honestly the pace is even too slow for me so I can't imagine how bored the French students are. On the bright side I really think that we are almost done with the definition stage and I might get to do some actual math on Wednesday (this course meets two times a week, on Wednesdays and Thursdays). Also on Thursday I had my European economics course. Now as a preface I had spent a lot of hours during the last week researching economic terms, treaties, trade agreements, and historical events that altered economic perspectives because this class is a third-year class and is a little bit ahead of me in terms of economy (though as I mentioned before I am fond of the challenge). So anyway, a lot of homework, and a lot of supplementary explanations from David who loves economy and is quite familiar with a lot of the goings on. So I go to class and I arrive 5 minutes before the start of class and there is no one in the classroom. I wait about two minutes and still there is no one. Knowing the French system I am well aware that I should probably go to the "panneau d'affichage" which is their form of scholastic bulletin board on which the various "licenses" (majors) will be shown alongside their class schedule. The reason the French even have these bulletin boards is because their class schedules are so unpredictable and change all the time and they find that the easiest way to let you know about this is to change the bulletin board.... not just send out an e-mail, or have class schedules online or anything convenient so that you have to go all the way to campus to figure out if your classroom has changed of if your class has been cancelled for the day. Well, I went to my all-knowledgeable panneau d'affichage and sure enough there was an index card pinned to it that said that my class had been cancelled for this week. Great. That means I walked down the 140 stairs of my apartment to walk up the 138 stairs to campus just to walk down the 138 campus stairs and up the 140 of my apartment. At least I get in my exercise! But seriously, their system is so stone-age and aggravating.

Since I was back early I decided to surprise David and prepare Boeuf Bourguignon, which would turn out to be the highlight of our week, that is until Saturday, but I'm getting there. So I prepared Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon, which takes about an hour and is followed by 4 hours of cooking in the oven, and would probably qualify as one of the more complicated recipes I have ever made just because the Julia Child version was quite detailed and precise. Even though I didn't have any beef broth I just used a little extra wine and some water, and I can tell you that our 4 hour wait was well worth it. That seriously was one of the best meals that I have had since being in France and David and I have decided that it is a must-be-repeated-as-much-as-possible recipe before the weather gets too warm. We're thinking like once a week? Haha, but honestly because it is such a French classic it really is not expensive to make out here. Maybe 9 Euros for the entire pot which served two people two meals, so  really great and hearty deal. I have included a picture because I was so proud of my creation:



FRIDAY
I didn't have any classes Friday, but I did have to take a French placement exam which tiers the foreign students into groups based on proficiency for the FLE (French as a Foreigh Language) Perfectionnement class. I actually was more than happy to take the exam because I was thrilled that this school was actually reinforcing that the students be separated by level so that classroom discussion and lesson topics could be more geared to the level at hand. I will know which group I am in on Monday, and I'll let you know how the prospects are.

SATURDAY
I went out shopping with my American friend Nicole to take advantage of the French sales which are going on. We had a blast and spent 4 and half hours wandering in and out of the various shops in Chambéry, and I purchased a pair of boots, a poncho-coat (it is wool like a normal coat just without sleeves), and two very lovely dresses. Then on our way back to join David for lunch in the apartment we rode in the elevator with one of our neighbors. He asked if we liked to drink wine and we said yes, and he informed us that there was a big exposition wine-tasting going on just a couple hundred meters down the street from us, at an entry fee of 5 Euros a person. Anyway, we of course were quite excited and the three of us went to our first-ever wine tasting which was devoted exclusively to "wines from the mountains" meaning they were all local vendors and producers, mostly from France though a few from the Italian and German side of the Alps. We had lots of great conversations and even learned quite a bit about French wines, the naming process, (based on three things: the location, the type of grape, and the "savoir faire" or "how to" for the production) and, of course, tried a ton of seriously fantastic wine. Mom and Dad - (and of course Grammy and Grampy) we couldn't help but think of how much you would have enjoyed to be there. The winner for the night for me was an extremely sweet (though with a balanced acidity) Riesling which was from the German producer, but in general all of Savoie's white wines are just phenomenal (Abymes, Apremont, and Roussette) and there was also a red wine from the beginning of the night that was fantastic, particularly in the nose, but I have no clue what it was because all the wines have blurred (or should I say blended) into my head which is not quite connoisseur ready. But here is a picture that we took afterward by the entrance banner:


Overall a really great second half of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment