Monday, January 23, 2012

Lyon Visit

Well I am finally going to take the time to update my blog about David and I's visit to Lyon this past Saturday. We didn't want to wake up too early since it was our weekend, so we decided on getting up around 9, and taking the 11 o'clock train to Lyon, so that we would be there by noon. The night before we had looked up directions to the tourism office, and everything had gone according to plan until we arrived into a rainy city and couldn't find the street we needed to take to get to the tourism office. Actually we walked for quite a long way and then by happenstance found the street that we needed and it had a map of the city, so we figured we were good to go. And don't ask me how this happened but we knew that we needed to go toward the rivers (there are two rivers that run parallel through Lyon the Rhône and the Saône) and we saw them on the map, then we localized the train tracks which we could see right beside us and determined that we had to go away from the train tracks. So we did. Then 30 minutes later we realized we had gone the wrong direction, because we had thought we were on a different part of the street than we were actually on. So we walked all the way back and then again for about 30 minutes in the other direction until we arrived at the tourism office and the starting point for the touring we wanted to do. Phew.

Even though our trip got off to a rough start, I definitely say that it was worth it because we really had a great time and I got to see my first ever roman amphitheaters. Also, once we had finished with the touristic stuff we spent about 2 hours shopping (David is such a great husband to put up with and even be enthused about my shopping) because right now is the time of the "sales" in France, which more or less mimics Black Friday in the US but continues until Valentine's Day, and makes prices ridiculously low. Of course I don't buy anything, but I love looking around. However, because it is already getting late and I have some other stuff to do before my classes tomorrow, I think I will do a picture-show-explanation of my excursion.

But before I do the picture I would just like to add a side note about the classes that I went to today. I cannot remember if I told you already but I was going to try out a class called littérature de jeunesse, which basically means childhood literature. I was really excited. Then I went to the class today and it was h.o.r.r.i.b.l.e. She was a terribly boring speaker, and she spent the whole time talking about the most insignificant aspects of the stories. We didn't even get to read a story! She talked about the different types of colors that can be used in the books (diluted or pastels versus bright and bold...) and also the form of the book (hard cover, soft cover, taller, or wider...) I just don't think the kids discriminate against books based on their shape. And I was hoping the class would be about text analysis, the words used, the reason for the types of drawings, the morals taught to children etc because I was interested about the French perspective. Oh well, I'll just have to do my own study at a later time because I am not going back to that class. It was sooo boring! She talked for two hours straight about the tiniest stylistic elements, without giving us a break, and by the end I vowed that I wouldn't come back to the class because it was the longest two hours of class ever and even if the content of the course got better the teacher's presentation just would not suffice. (Ironic because I bet she is really good at reading kid's books).

And now for my Lyon pictures:

David in front of the "Grande Roue" in Lyon. This is where the long-awaited Lyon Tourist office was found. Also notice the umbrella in the background... something that neither David nor I had for our day out on the town. Luckily the rain was off and on and never very serious.

My turn in front of the Ferris Wheel. Unfortunately it was 8 Euros a person to ride so David and I decided against it, but it was nice to look at. 

David and I in front of the larger of the two Roman amphitheaters. This one can seat up to 10,000 people!

Here's a view looking down from about 3/4ths up the amphi seating. This amphitheater still holds venues today and was constructed in 43 AD. Way to go Romans. 

David and I in front of the smaller amphi, called the Odeon, which could seat about 3000 people. Also you can notice that the Roman city life was built on top of a hill which very successfully overlooks everything around it.

David in front of the Basilisque de Fourvière. The building was so huge it was quite impossible to get a good picture but we did try. It was just a stunning building to look at with a lot of intricacy in the construction. See the picture below for more detail.

I just loved the pattern on the arches. 

Here is my standing in front of the crypt entrance which was actually on the ground level and then you took stairs down below. The crypt was enormous, and very ornate. Unfortunately the main part of the basilisk was closed for construction (yearly care) and we couldn't see it, but even just seeing the outside was quite magnificent. 

David and I used the timer on my camera to get this picture from the back of the basilisk, overlooking the city of Lyon. It was a stunning view even in the misty rain.

Us in front of the side of the basilisk. We just kept looking for a location where we could get a good picture. It was extremely difficult.

I felt that I had to include this picture. I asked a Frenchman to take a picture of us, and he kindly agreed and was a very personable man and we had a decently long conversation afterward because he was curious about  our studies and our time in France... very nice man. Then we got home and looked at the pictures he took of us and he completely missed the basilisk behind us. What is sad is I cropped out a whole bunch of road from this picture which used to be about half road. The reason I had us cross the street was so that he could get a picture with more of the building, not more of the street. Oh well. I guess that will give us something to laugh about. 

When we were walking down the huge hill on which the basilisk and the ancient Roman ruins were situated, we took a narrow stair path and halfway down I stopped and took this picture of the Cathedral of St John. Again, it was such a huge building that once we got up close getting a good picture became very difficult, so this turned out to be one of my favorites. 

Me in front of the huge doors of the St John's Cathedral. This cathedral had some of the most amazing stained glass I have ever seen, just stunning and extremely complex (the told entire stories of Scripture) and if you ever visit France, specifically Lyon, you simply must go into this Cathedral and admire the stained glass.   

A downtown fountain lit up at night. This is primarily where David and I did our shopping, walking along the main strip and going into every single shoe store because I am currently boot-hunting. (= We took a little breather on the bench from which I took this picture. 


This was the Ferris Wheel lit up at night. Unfortunately the lights on the wheel spin quickly so my picture appears to be blurry. However it was a really pretty sight in the downtown.


This picture, though not entirely crisp, shows the view from the lower part of the city (where the Ferris Wheel is) toward the hill with the basilisk which was gallantly lit up at night. It was really a great view. You just don't have those kind of things in America.

Here is David and I taking a picture with the touristic mascot of Lyon, a red lion. I thought it was pretty cool and I like our photo. Also, the woman who offered to take the photo for us worked in the department of tourism and asked if I would mind taking a survey for her. I said sure because I haven't done one in French yet and it seemed fun (plus I wanted to pay her back for taking the photo).

Finally, David took a picture of me fairy tale kissing the lion. Overall we had a great day and a fun little weekend excursion. It is great being able to so easily travel to historic cities. And I will leave you with that because it is time for me to get to bed. Love to everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment