Thursday, September 15, 2011

General Update from Le Havre

This whole week I have been juggling classes and time-tables to the extent that I am fairly confident I could enter a circus at this point to show off my skills, and all this so that I could obtain my 30 ECTS credits worth of classes. It is looking like I am going to be taking about 10-12 courses which is just so many I prefer not to think about it, but what is so weird is that each course only meets once, maybe maybe maybe twice a week, so I actually feel like I have a very light class load. Also, because some of them are very closely linked in terms of subject area the little bit of assigned homework plus the extra work that I have to do being a non-native French speaker doesn't actually add up to that much since it can overlap. We'll see though, I may end up near suicidal soon (=

I had my first professor today that wasn't just completely helpful towards foreign students, by the way. During the 5 minute break that they give in the middle of their classes (because they are 2 hour long lectures) I went up to him to introduce myself and ask if he would be posting his powerpoints for the class or if he would make them available to me and the other 4 foreign students, so that we didn't have to try to write everything down and try to listen to him at the same time. He literally feigned reflection and turned to me and said, "Euhh, non." I was like, ok, thank you very much! (In my head of course) His explanation was that he didn't think it would help that much, but I don't think come teachers understand that it is absolutely impossible for foreign students to write one thing down and listen to and remember the supplemental information that a professor is presenting. That is even difficult to do in your native language! Oh well, I guess not everyone can want to go out of their way to help us out!

I have to say that as of now I am quite enjoying my classes, though they are just so different that those in America, in just a million ways: the rapport between student and teacher, the way the material is presented, the in-class and out-of-class expectations, the way of grading... everything. However, I am almost thoroughly convinced I am not going to pass any of my courses here expect the FLE classes and Chinese, because regular French students barely pass and often fail (because the entire class is based off of one test at the end of the semester and that is all) therefore I am not sure at all that I am going to be able to apply myself enough to actually pass any of my content-heavy subjects, but I guess we'll see. The good news is that I can fail as many as I want without hurting my GPA. The bad news is that every class that I don't pass cannot be eligible for transfer credit so it will be as though I never took the course at all (all that effort for nothing!)

Also I thought of a little culture note I wanted to add: there really actually is more B.O. in France than I would have expected. I knew that that was a stereotype of French people, but I wasn't sure if it would actually be true. Now, the stereotype is still not quite accurate because that makes it seem like 75% of French people smell bad, where as I would put it at 3-5%, but it is definitely something that I notice more that I would back in America. However, I am trying to figure out why some people don't wear deodorant because I can't actually figure out when it is "ok" not to wear it... all the students at school (except those coming from African countries) wear it, and all my professors too. It's just weird, I'll keep you updated if I notice anything more about it.

Finally, every morning during my walk to the university and while returning I would remember something I had meaning to add here but kept forgetting. Ever since my first day in Le Havre, there has been a Barbie arm lying on part of the sidewalk that I have to walk right by a round-about on my way to and from school. In the beginning we noticed it and thought it was creepy, but now it is just funny because it has been two weeks and no one has ever stopped to remove it, and neither the never ending wind nor the ever constant rain has been able to displace it from its conspicuous position. So I was just going to update you until the Barbie arm left its position because it has kind of become a little insider between all the foreign students who live at A Docks. And actually, by the way, a doll's head showed up there today (with all hair removed) just across the street, so I'll let you know if it hangs out for a long time too. Basically what I see here is one of two options: 1) These are two weird and rather amusing coincidences or 2) There is some sick-minded doll destroyer who lives right by the round-about and who is depositing amputated doll parts around. Anyway, it is funny to us students because ever since day one we had been joking about how sinister it was to have a Barbie arm just lying there in the middle of the sidewalk, but it just became so much funnier (and creepier for sure) when the doll head showed up. When Tam texted me about finding the doll head I literally was rolling with laughter because of the irony.

Ok now you're up to date I think. I have my 8am Techniques de Commerce class first tomorrow, and I actually can't remember if I have anything else, but I will look it up later. As for now I am trying to get an early start to bed because I have not been getting enough sleep, and that is really important when you are trying to pay attention to two hours lectures in a foreign language at 8am!

Also, I am happy and content because I made my first official French friends in a classroom today and ate lunch with them and spoke French so I am taking some very important first steps towards improving my colloquial French. Today I am 100% happy (though a little tired, I couldn't justify lowering my emotional contentedness).

No comments:

Post a Comment