Thursday, December 15, 2011

WHAT A WEEK and it's not even over

I really haven't had any time to let you guys know what's been going on, and today is really no different as I prepare to take my last exam. But I figure I will try to give you a quick summary in the 10 minutes before I have to go:

Monday there was no exam, and it was my day of panic as I prepared for my three exams on Tuesday. Actually, the reason I was panicking was not because I had three exams, but because I had Chinese. I literally had been working on Chinese for like 7 hours a day for about 5 days at that point, and I still just could never possibly know everything that was required. Also, in class on Monday, my teacher turned to me (as she was talking about the schedule for the rest of the class) and said that I wouldn't be responsible for the information we didn't cover after today. WOW, THANKS! I am only responsible for everything you say today for my cumulative exam tomorrow. What a gift. And what is kind of sad, kind of funny, is that she said it like she really was doing me a favor. Haha.

Anyway Tuesday came around and my Chinese exam went ok. Normally I do awesomely on language tests (my Chinese tests back in Miami were usually scored at about 98-99% correct. And here I am feeling more of a 85 maybe. I don't know how she grades. What really aggravated me, however, was the oral because she tried to hold it like a conversation in real life. I am sorry, but we simply do not know enough vocabulary to do that. For example, we learn hobbies. She asks what do I like doing in my free time, and I say... being on the computer (we only know like 6 hobbies so that is the best) and then she says, "Oh, what do you do on the computer?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I am just proud of saying the hobby! We haven't learned a single morsel of vocabulary to describe what I could possibly be doing on the computer. And it just went on and on. She asks me if I was talking with someone and I responded yes because that kind of worked, and then she said were you talking with **** (I had no idea what she said, and in Chinese there is definitely no such thing as guessing) so I just repeated that yes I was talking, and then she was like Nooooooonnn, were you talking with ****. Finally I was just sitting there so hard trying to think of what that could be and she said in French , "your husband?" And I was just so mad because I DO NOT KNOW THAT WORD IN CHINESE and she said it like it was sooo obvious in the context. Why don't you try guessing words during a Chinese oral, it is not easy. Oh well, she likes me as a student and I did really well on the class work and the participation so I am sure I passed.

After that it was Recherche Marketing and I did brilliantly. He ended my oral with an interview about my expectations and my experiences in France because he was curious about my American perspective. So that was fun. He also said that I did really really well on the exam and he was going to give me a 16 or 17 out of 20 which is just enormous in France. I am very happy. Then there was my FLE (French) exam which of course I didn't study for and which was quite easy. So at least that is done.

Wednesday was Macro-Econ, and Tam and I took the exam together (teacher's idea) and that made it really easy because he basically just wanted us to have a conversation about current events concerning the Euro-zone and a little bit about our respective countries. It was a rather fun economic conversation, and in the end he also said we did really well and not to worry about our grades, so I guess that means we passed. Sweet.

Today is the kicker, it is Geo de la France and it is going to be painful. It is a 3 hours exam to do something, but no one is really sure what, so I guess we will see. And Tam and I are getting together to study for that right now in fact, right up until we take the sucker. lol. We will see how that goes. Unfortunately it is a huge class and it is going to provide me with important transfer credit I hope, so let's pray it goes well.

Ok I'm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment