Monday, October 24, 2011

Day Numéro Deux

Hey everyone! As usual it is very late here so a somewhat quick update. My Mom and I got around and visited the Palace of Versailles first thing this morning, then actually went through the Notre Dame Cathedral, (and may actually go back again tomorrow to climb the towers - important note: the cathedral is about a 5 minute walk from our apartment so it is not difficult for us to get there.), we visited the Pantheon too, which was a really cool old "church" that looked nothing like a church which has a very fantastic crypt holding the bones of several famous writers (Jean-Jaques Rousseau and Voltaire) as well as other important personages such as the commanders in Napoleon's armies, and the famous chemist Marie Curie. Definitely quite cool. Finally, we went and visited the Centre Georges Pompidou, a museum of very, very, very modern art, which can be thanked for the last picture included here.
Mom and I in front of the Palace of Versailles

Me, looking tired of smiling, in the main hall of the Notre Dame Cathedral

Me, way too brightened by the flash, in front of the enormously grand Pantheon

And here it is folks, one of the exhibits in the Centre Georges Pompidou.... 6 bic lighters, one of which is standing on its end, all lined up. By the time my mom and I reached this exhibit we were already kind of wondering who actually considered this real art, but when we got to this I literally laughed so hard I cried, even though I was trying so hard not to because I knew someone would be offended. I asked mom to tell me a joke so I would look justified and instead she informed me that the name of the work of art was: Ensemble of 6 Bic Lighters. Woah... you sure? I just died; I actually had to wipe my eyes with a kleenex to keep my mascara from being all over my face. Anyway, this exhibit alone made it worth the trip, which otherwise would not have been worth the time. Actually it still might not have been, but at least we got a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment