Friday, October 28, 2011

Carcassonne Recap

First of all, my mom and I arrived in Le Havre today and I was so ready to be "home"!!! It is great. She took me on a grocery trip so that I would be stocked for not only our breakfast and dinners but also have some supplies for a few extra meals, including a vegetable peeler so that I could get the skin off of my carrots. We are both happy to be in a relaxed atmosphere, and are looking forward to seeing my university's campus and having a little trip to Etretat to view the beautiful chalk cliff formations that I went to a couple of weeks ago with my friends. I am excited to see them again, but mostly I am glad to be back home because all that touring really did tire me out! Not to mention the fact that my showers were so infrequent... I literally look back through my pictures and I think about the fact that it had been 48 hours since I had washed my hair and I feel great about how somewhat normal I looked! (=

Anyway, it is a little late here in Le Havre; my mom and I cooked quite an extravagant meal and spent time moving all our stuff in, so I am really writing to share with you my pictures of Carcassonne. You can see them, with descriptions, below. 

 Me on the Old Bridge (Pont Vieux) which leads up to the medieval city. I am particularly fond of the wind which is trying to make my two-day unshowered hair even more attractive. 

A view of the city, its wall, and the surrounding houses.

Mom in front of an interior part of the city.

Me perched in a window sill of a building overlooking the city's houses and church.

Me outside the city, so you can see how tremendous the external walls were. I really like the medieval architecture because it makes this castle look so different from all the other ones that we see around Paris and the Loire Valley. Here the castle was built for practicality. At the time it would have been considered quite ugly, though I find it quite awesome just because of its sheer ferocity, but it was enough to dissuade invaders or other attacking forces. One of the things we learned during a tour was that this fortress never once fell into enemy hands, so I'd say it did it's job quite well.

An attempt at taking a night picture to show you how the city just lights up. This picture stinks but it was the best we could do. I thoroughly recommend a google search of the Carcassonne city at night because this was an absolutely astonishing view.


Me celebrating my entrance into the city after crossing a cool, but somewhat small bridge. Note to David: This is me proving my knighthood of the city, meaning I get all the points when we play the game Carcassonne next, sorry about your luck man (=


No comments:

Post a Comment